Household toxins are a common source of pet poisoning, particularly in the bathroom or kitchen. However, potential hazards can be anywhere, including in your cupboards, garage, and garden. During National Poison Prevention Week, you should be aware of pet toxins that can potentially harm your pet if they come into contact.

 

Who should I contact if my pet comes in contact with a potential toxin?

If your pet ingests or comes in contact with a potential toxin, contact an animal poison control hotline immediately. A veterinary toxicologist will guide you on what steps to take to ensure your pet receives the appropriate treatment. Additionally, they will give you a case number that will allow a veterinarian or our team to contact them to discuss a treatment plan. 

 

What are the most common toxins for pets?

Many items that are safe for people are toxic for pets, so before bringing flowers into your home or sharing a snack with your furry pal, ensure they are not hazardous. According to the ASPCA, the ten most common toxins that pets encounter include:

  • Over-the-counter medications
  • Human prescription medications
  • Food
  • Chocolate
  • Veterinary products
  • Household items
  • Rodenticides
  • Plants
  • Insecticides
  • Garden products

 

What signs should I watch for if my pet is exposed to a toxin?

While each toxin causes specific signs, some general conditions can develop if your pet has been exposed to a poisonous substance. Your furry pal may have come in contact with a potential toxin if they develop the following issues:

  • Vomiting
  • Diarrhea
  • Seizures
  • Excessive thirst
  • Abnormal bleeding, bruising, or blood in the stool or urine
  • Hyperactivity
  • Extreme lethargy
  • Ataxia, or impaired coordination
  • Excessive salivation
  • Confusion
  • Changes in heart rate or rhythm
  • Changes in breathing

 

Keep in mind that toxicity signs may not always develop immediately. Some problems, such as clotting disorders from rodenticide toxicity, may not become apparent until days after ingestion.

 

When in doubt, if your pet comes in contact with a toxic substance, contact an animal poison control center, then call our team for help.